This simple and easy recipe makes you forget dining out.
What we need:
1. 1 cup of mixed vegetables, fresh or frozen (beans, peas, carrots, corn)
2. I cup of Cauliflower florets.
3. about 10 chunks of extra firm tofu
4. 1 onion chopped
5. 4 ripe and juicy tomatoes chopped
6. 2, 3 green chillis slit lengthwise
7. spices: 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1 tsp garam masala( rajwadi badshah brand), 1 tsp cumin, 2 tsps Shahi paneer masala( badshah brand), 1 stick cinnamon, 3 cloves, 1 pod cardamom, 1/2 star anise
8. 2 cups of basmati rice cooked and cooled into separate grains.
9. 2 tbsp of oil.
Dont be overwhelmed with the list of ingredients. the actual preparation is quite simple and u will love it.
1. In a thick bottomed pan heat 2 tbsp of oil. once oil is hot add turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and star anise and saute for few seconds.
2. Now add onion and saute until onions turn translucent
3. Now add the slit green chillis, cauliflower florets and mixed vegetables and saute for few minutes until veggies get tender but not too soft.
4. then add the chopped tomatoes and mix in with all the veggies. Cover with a lid and let them cook for few minutes until tomatoes become very soft an form a gravy. There is no need to add any water.
5. Now add chilli powder, garam masala and shahi paneer masala and salt and stir in the mixture.
6. Finally add the tofu and give a quick stir and let the whole mixture simmer for 5 minutes.
Now you have a beautiful mixed vegetable curry-like base ready to be mixed with rice.
Take the cooked basmati rice and spread on the vegetable mixture . add salt and oil on top and mix the rice well. Turn on the heat and mix the whole rice on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat.
Garnish with finely chopped mint.
Your restaurant style biriyani is ready.
tips: add all spices according to your taste. the cauliflower should be tender yet firm. tofu should be added in the end and can be replaced with paneer.